Fairton, New Jersey – Established 1680 from the PCA Historical Center website

A brief article on the history of our Church!

The Fairfield Church was founded in 1680 when a log building was built on the banks of Cohansey Creek, and the site of that first building is marked by the “Cohansey Monument” erected under the auspices of the Presbytery of West Jersey [PCUSA] on June 15, 1909, bearing the following inscription:

“In memory of the true and good men and women who coming in the seventeenth century, founded here on the Cohansey the Church of Christ in Fairfield.”

Sometime between 1713-1715 the log building was replaced by a frame building in New England style with shingled sides and was used until 1780, when the stone church below Fairton, now known as the “Old Stone Church,” was completed. This building was in continuous use until 1850 when the congregation was transferred to the new building in Fairton, the present place of worship.
3The “Old Stone Church”

The Succession of Pastors Serving the Fairfield Presbyterian Church:
M. Bradnor 1680 – 1695 J.N. Wagenhurst 1897 – 1900
Thomas Bridges 1695 – 1702 John Bamford 1901 – 1903
Joseph Smith 1709 – 1711 W.J. Trimble 1903 – 1906
Samuel Exell 1712 – 1712 William Bullock 1907 – 1908
Howell A.P. Howell 1715 – 1717 Nelson B. Kline 1909 – 1910
Henry Hook 1718 – 1722 William M. Seel 1912 – 1914
Noyes Parris 1724 – 1729 Franklin Weatherwax 1914 – 1917
Daniel Elmer 1729 – 1755 Nelson B. Kline 1918 – 1922
William Ramsey 1756 – 1771 Jacob Dyke 1922 – 1923
William Hollingshead 1773 – 1783 J. Howard Douglas 1923 – 1928
Ethan Osborn 1789 – 1844 Clinton Cook 1929 – 1941
David McKee 1836 – 1838 Arthur Haverly 1942 – 1945
Beriah B. Hotchckin 1845 – 1850 John Taxis 1945 – 1947
David C. Meeker 1851 – 1855 Paul Stauning 1947 – 1951
James Boggs 1857 – 1866 Ralph Tamaccio 1951 – 1954
Hiram E. Johnson 1866 – 1869 Lincoln Griswold 1955 – 1958
Samuel R. Jones 1869 – 1874 Allen Ackley 1960 – 1964
Samuel R. Anderson 1875 – 1883 Vaughn Thurman 1965 – 1967
Henry Reeves 1883 – 1885 Charles Dennison 1972 – 1976
Frank R. Symmes 1886 – 1890 Lawrence C. Roff 1977 – 1984
Thomas W. Pulham 1891 – 1893 Allan Story 1985 – 1992
George Warrington 1894 – 1897 Michael Schuelke 1992 – present